Thursday, June 19, 2008

Get away from me

What a week! We're one David Tyree TD pass away from having all three (if we exclude hockey, which, as far as I can tell, is mainly of interest to Canadians and people from Michigan) of the big pro sports championships in Boston. Some blogger I read--I can't remember which one--notes that this, like much else, is George Bush's fault. Boston teams, he notes, didn't win any championships under Bill Clinton but have won six under Bush. Depending on your point of view, more reasons to dislike Bush, Boston, or both. Anyway, congrats to the Celtics. This meditation on Boston fandom is well done. (If you don't get it, call me and I'll try to explain it.)

This is pretty hilarious. Conrad Black checks in from his extended holiday in Florida with a rather petulant review of Rick Perlstein's Nixonland. You'll recall that Sir Conrad is in the slammer for essentially stealing money from his shareholders. I imagine he's got plenty of time for reading and thus we'll be seeing more of this kind of thing. (He's due to be released in October 2013.)

REM was indeed pretty awesome. They played a lot of old school stuff, including some of my favorites from Life's Rich Pageant, including "Begin the Begin" and "Cuyahoga". Our friend who got the tickets had the foresight to buy a "premier" parking pass (at $40 an outrage), which, despite my fears, made the whole parking scenario fairly painless.

On Saturday, we saw Chris Rock at the humorously named Wang Center--Get it?--and he was pretty funny. However, if I were his mother, I'd wash his mouth out with soap. He has a really dirty mouth. Mario Joyner opened for him and had a very funny bit about Home Depot that rested on the insight, which I suspect may be familiar to some of you--that it's an enormous challenge to get someone to assist you at Home Depot. It's almost as if they have some sort of special training that they skip at Lowe's.

Posted by jwb at 8:57 AM   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment
« home