Thursday, May 29, 2008

So, an adventure on a train?


I hope everyone--all three of you--had a pleasant Memorial Day weekend. We were in The D, for a baby shower and a wedding. The parts of the weekend that did not involve Northwest Airlines were a pleasure. We will, apparently, be needing about 30 baby blankets, though I am not entirely clear about why.

Long-time readers will know that we think that Alan Furst is the cat's meow. Furst's new novel, The Spies of Warsaw seems to be out--though those rat bastards at Amazon.com have yet to send me my copy. Janet Maslin gives it what, I think, can only be termed a rave in today's Times. There's also a nice profile of the author by David Samuels in the current Men's Vogue--my current favorite airport reading--though it does not seem to be available on the interwebs. (Bad internet!)

Did anyone catch Indy over the weekend? What say you?

Posted by jwb at 8:46 AM   

3 Comments:

Blogger Bram said:

At the library now, just having placed my hold for it. Much more interested in this than the new Bond after the beating it took in the Post and NYT.

Actually, I could kinda use this ASAP. Working on a project now that involves Warsaw around the time of the German invasion and lacking some details. That, and it sounds like the most interesting Furst in a while.
at 12:07 PM     

Blogger jwb said:

Amazon has it releasing on June 3.

In the Men's Vogue piece, he talks a little about some of the sources he's used for his earlier books. (When asked about it by Samuels, he says something like, "What? You think I make this stuff up?") When first learning about a country for a book, he looks at the entry from the 1951 Encyclopedia Britannica. He also looks at other histories. For instance, he mentions using Hugh Thomas's famous book about the Spanish Civil War for the Spain sections in Night Soldiers. Alas, he doesn't say anything about his other sources for Poland.
at 1:21 PM     

Blogger Susan, Carson, Ginger, and Fischer said:

I am glad I am getting over the fact that my comments always sound so pedestrian next to your other (2?) erudite friends. Your comment about the baby blankets cracked me up, because we felt the exact same way! We must have 75 of them!!!
at 6:34 AM     

Post a Comment
« home