Thursday, February 08, 2007

Yeah, I know


Sorry for the lack of blogging of late. My computer finally melted down last week. The problem, it seems, was Steve Jobs' fault, so the "geniuses" at the Apple Store in lovely Burlington, MA, fixed it fairly quickly and (aside from not having a computer for a few days) at no cost to me. And things have been crazy busy this week. There have been a few items hither and yon that I've wanted to blog about recently, but most of them don't seem quite so hither as I think about it now. Here are a few:

1. Congrats to Jen Gadiel who now has a presence in blogistan. Check it out if your interested in the nexus of environmentalism and design.

2. Nelson Polsby, RIP. I only met him once, so I can't say that I really knew him, but he was one of the more distinguished political scientists around and he was also a very funny guy. I'll have to try that "entertaining without shoes" thing, though I imagine his wife did most of the cooking--hot food and bare feet--not so much.

3. I don't read Slate too often these days, but I just came across this astute take on Martin Amis's work (in the guise of a review of his new book). Like the author, I'm a bigger fan of early, Mean Amis--The Information, both brilliant and hilarious, is one of my favorite books--than the more recent neoconnish, moralizing Amis.

4. I watched Miami Vice last night and enjoyed it far more than I expected. Visually, it was quite remarkable and had me wishing I had a bigger TV to soak in all the high-def goodness. However, it had far to many preposterous elements--among them, the silly romance between Sonny (Colin Farrell) and Isabella (Gong Li)--to be considered a good movie. I'll give it a B.

6. The Fiddler was digging through his archives recently and came across the last installment of the late and lamented Bloom County. August 6, 1989 was a sad day, indeed.

6. Buzzy is growing like a weed. We took him in to see the vet on Saturday and he's 32 lbs. (He was 12 lbs. when we got him in early December.) He's starting to look more like a little dog than a puppy, but he's still very cute.

UPDATE: In other Jen Gadiel (nee Wulf) news, her boss, Sylvia Kwan--who we met at Jen's wedding--is on the new season of Survivor, a cultural happening that I have managed to avoid until now. I guess we'll have to watch. Good luck, Sylvia. And if you win, make sure you pay your taxes.

Posted by jwb at 4:30 PM   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment
« home