Tuesday, December 12, 2006

You're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?

Sorry, once again, for the lack of posting of late. Herewith is one of those annoying posts where I quickly cover several matters that are no doubt worthy of their own posts quickly in one brief post.

1. Hannibal Rising arrived in the mail last week and I read it over the weekend. The early reviews aren't so good. And while I agree that the story is a bit flimsy and contrived--I am prepared to be laughed at for saying this--I actually found it quite enjoyable. It's the story about how Hannibal became the complete psycho we all know and love, and while it doesn't really have any of the overbearing tension that made Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs such great late-night reads, it's nicely written. I'm not sure I would recommend it (especially for Raphy, who can be quite particular about these sorts of things), but it's not very long, so even if you read it and hate it, you'll have only wasted a few hours of your life.

2. Before HR, I was a few hundred pages into the new Pynchon, Against the Day, but was finding it hard going. There are numerous intertwined stories only some of which I found compelling. One, involving some boy baloonists named the Chums of Chance, is pretty interesting and reminded me (no doubt, on purpose) of some of the adventure stories I loved as a kid.

3. Anthony Lane, one of our most distinguished film critics, confirms my suspicions that The Good German really blows.

Posted by jwb at 3:45 PM   

1 Comments:

Blogger jwb said:

I don't feel like running upstairs at the moment to check the precise length, but it's a thousand pager, so, after a few hundred pages, you haven't even met all the main characters. It's a major commitment. With Buzzy in our lives, my reading time in the evenings has greatly diminished. That said, I intend to keep going.
at 7:36 PM     

Post a Comment
« home