Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Names, names, names!


Once again, thanks to Monica for our snazzy new look. We'll be back later with some reflections on grass-fed beef and other pressing matters. For now, I want to revisit the question of whether we (meaning me) should change the name of the blog to something more memorable or pithy. My inclination is to "stay the course" unless we can come up with something that is demonstrably better than the present name. Raphy took a stab at it in comments, though his suggestions are a little more self-deprecating than I think we're up for at the moment. (Our ego is a fragile thing. Nice try, though.) Shannon (in disguise as Anonymous) suggests the far more promising "scutube".

Since you asked, scutube is an exotic word whose origins can be found in ancient Persian. (Loosely translated, it means "whale's vagina.") A brief word on pronunciation: The "scu" in scutube rhymes with "cue" as in "Stop hitting me with that pool cue, please" and "tube" rhymes with "boob" as in "boob bait for the bubbas."

Alas, scutube doesn't seem to be much in use anymore. If you head over to "the Google" and type in "scutube", you'll get two hits. The first is for an underutilized Flickr account for someone named Shannon. The second is a Dogster page* for a funny looking white dog from Michigan.

I'm inclined to give it a shot. What do you think?

* Yeah, I'm not kidding. Dogster. Like Friendster but for dogs.

Posted by jwb at 3:30 PM   

2 Comments:

Blogger monica said:

ah, I thought "scutube" was an in joke, playing off of "youtube"
at 1:49 PM     

Blogger jwb said:

Well, it is a joke of sorts--an effort to make fun of silly slang words that get really popular (like "tight" or "bling"). It was made up by Shannon (my sister-in law, who is out of her mind) several years ago, before Youtube had become a big thing. At some point I'll explain what it really means. It's vey silly--and difficult to explain without sound effects.

That said, I've reserved scutube.blogspot.com just in case.
at 1:58 PM     

Post a Comment
« home