Thursday, October 19, 2006

A question for our readers

This blog will be getting a face lift in a few days--I'll say more about that later. In the meantime, as part of that process, I've been wondering whether jwbblog ought to have a proper title--something as part of the header at the top of the page. (See here for a decent example from a blog that I like.) (To be clear, I'm not talking about changing the url, just the title you see at the top of the page.) I wonder if our readers might have some suggestions.

For several reasons, my inclination is against a new title. First, I've sort of grown attached to the name "jwbblog", even though it seems to strike some people as nonsensical and seems to be difficult to remember. Second, it seems to me that many blogs with titles that their owners clearly think are very clever are, truth be told, pretentious dreck. (I won't identify any of the perpetrators by name, but I'm thinking about blogs with titles that include words like "wisdom," "thoughts," "courage", etc.) Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with pretentious dreck. It shows up here occasionally. (After all, I am pretentious. Q.E.D.) But to give the blog a title like "Speaking Truth to Power" or "Courageous Wisdom" would, in my judgment, set the wrong tone. If were going to have a new title, I think it probably needs to be a little silly or (plainly) ironic.

Whaddya think? Any suggestions?

Posted by jwb at 10:21 AM   

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said:

SCUTUBE!
at 6:51 PM     

Anonymous Anonymous said:

Your current title is difficult to remember...I just spent several minutes typing all sorts of things to try to pull this up. I googled you and some key words from past entries that I remembered. All in vain! I finally pulled an old email with the link. Please change the title! I guess you say the url will remain the same, though, and I can just bookmark this page...still I would welcome a new title.
at 7:05 PM     

Post a Comment
« home