Monday, August 21, 2006

Random Blogging


Sorry for our somewhat extended absence from this space. Been kinda busy pretending to work on my Ph.D. Anyway, here are some various items that may or may not be of interest to our readers:

1. I watched a very interesting documentary on PBS a few weeks ago about the Belgian cartoonist Herge (pron. Er-zhay; there should be an accent egu on the second e, though I haven't figured out how to do it in html), the creator of a series of books about the young reporter, Tintin. Herge had a very interesting life and the documentary is well worth watching if they show it again. (Here's the review from the NY Times.) It also had me reading through my stash of the Tintin books, which I probably haven't looked at in 15 years or so. They are still quite wonderful, though I suspect I'm picking up on some of the plot holes that I missed as a kid. If you are unfamilar with Tintin, you might start with the two parter, "Secret of the Unicorn" and "Red Rackham's Treasure."

2. If you didn't get your fix of international football during the World Cup, the English Premier League kicked off this week. Deadspin has some very silly commentary on the various games from the weekend. I watched the second half of Chelsea v. Man City and agree that it was a little like watching a Harlem Globetrotters game.

3. Via the Fiddler, you might be interested in a history of mockumentaries. One small cavil: The words "winning presence" and "Kristen Dunst" do not belong in the same sentence.

4. If you haven't checked in with them in a while, the Spectors have been quite busy in the first month of their six-month honeymoon. Lots of cool pics of South America (Chile, Argentina, etc.). Bonus: In the most recent post, there are some pics of Jeff Spector, known to some as "the hottest spector".

Posted by jwb at 12:13 PM   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment
« home