Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Recommended reading


Some time ago, in comments to one of our countless posts on espionage novels/movies, Bram recommended that I check out Queen and Country, a series of graphic novels about a small group of agents working for the British Secret Service, but in a more realistic vein than, e.g., Bond. Anyway, I just finished the first one and highly recommend it. I'm not sure I love the art work, but I gather that Queen and Country's author, Greg Rucka, uses different artists with every issue. I'll check out the next couple of issues and report back.

Posted by jwb at 1:04 PM   

3 Comments:

Blogger Bram said:

Glad you liked it. Each arc does, indeed, use a different artist, and most styles are not what you'd ordinarily think of for spy stories.

Be sure to post what you think of the rest. The stuff gets darker as it goes — and try to get your hands on Sandbaggers, the BBC series that was the inspiration for Q&C.

And, thanks for your recommendations a few posts back. Those'll help carry me through future business trips.
at 5:47 PM     

Blogger jwb said:

I found Sandbaggers on Netflix, but you can only get it one disk at a time, so I might just bite the bullet and buy it from Amazon. (3 sets, $53.99 ea.)

I'm also curious about the two LeCarre/Alec Guiness miniseries--Smiley's People and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Have you seen them?

I hope you like the McCarry books as much as I did.
at 7:33 PM     

Blogger Bram said:

Looks like you might be able to save on Sandbaggers over at half.com. I'm also not sure they're keepers, so it might be worth renting, if you can take the wait between episodes.

I've not seen the LaCarrés, but remember hearing good things about them at the time. I confess, I've only read TTSP years ago; I'm glad I did, but I didn't really feel the urge to go through the rest.

Y'know, if you're into spy graphic novels now, you might head over to Raised By Squirrels and check that out coughblatantselfpromocough.
at 7:12 AM     

Post a Comment
« home